Needlework took place in the warming-room, the only area in the Abbey with heating.
A fine one-flight Renaissance staircase, dating mainly from the 16th century, leads to the three dormitories.
Labora, the nuns’ work
Built in the 12th century (then rebuilt around 1600), the infirmaries originally formed the main courtyard of the Abbey. This is where the nuns would end their days.
Baptistry, lantern for the dead, or a church? The exact use of this 12th century building remained uncertain for a very long time. It is now clear that it used to be the kitchens.
Similar to a large number of monasteries, Fontevraud was surrounded by gardens where each space was reserved for a special function: the utilitarian kitchen garden, the cemetery orchard, and the medicinal-herb garden.
To find out more about the Abbey of Fontevraud >>