©L. Chevalier/CRT Centre Val de Loire - CHATEAU OF LANGEAIS ©L. Chevalier/CRT Centre Val de Loire - CHATEAU OF LANGEAIS ©P. Forget/CRT Centre Val de Loire - CHATEAU OF LANGEAIS ©J. Percher/CRT Centre Val de Loire - CHATEAU OF LANGEAIS ©J.M. Laugery - CHATEAU OF LANGEAIS ©C. Lazi/CRT Centre Val de Loire - CHATEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS
CHÂTEAU OF LANGEAIS

Two châteaux, two architectural feats

The first château was built from 994 on the promontory overlooking the Loire by the powerful and feared Count of Anjou, Foulques Nerra. It is one of the oldest keeps in France, and these important remains are now clad in reconstructed medieval scaffolding. This representation, along with lifting machines, with transport you back to how builders worked in the year 1000.

On the other side of the courtyard is the second royal château, constructed by order of Louis XI in 1465. He wished to have a building where, from the top of its towers and sentry walk, the right bank of the Loire could be kept under surveillance. Because of this, its majestic facade has a sentry walk, towers, and a drawbridge on the town side. Within the inner courtyard, decorated windows pierce the stone facade giving signs of a pleasantly refined residence, and making way for the subtleties of the Renaissance.

 

A historic marriage 

Within its walls, on the 6th of December 1491, the destiny of France and Brittany was about to be decided by the marriage between Charles VIII and the duchess Anne of Brittany. This marriage marked the joining of the duchy to the Crown of France, thus signing the end of its independence. A very realistic and gripping show will plunge you into the very heart of this major event in the history of France.

In the Royal House, numerous tapestries, pieces of furniture, and period objects of art vividly evoke the refined way of life at the end of the Middle Ages: fifteen rooms richly furnished and decorated, thanks to the magnificent collection built up by Jacques Siegfried at the end of the 19th century.

To find out more about the château of Langeais>>