A museum in the château
The town museum was installed within the town hall when it was created in 1829 and is composed of natural science collections, archaeological objects, paintings and sculptures. It was transferred to the château in 1912 after the first restoration jobs on the building.
In 1919, Count Charles Lair donated his art collection to the town, consisting mainly of medieval sculptures, furniture and French ceramics. This impressive, high-quality donation transformed the museum, giving it a more decisive approach towards decorative arts of the 14th to 18th centuries. The ceramics collection at the Château-Museum of Saumur is one of the most remarkable in France, and a number of objects are reference pieces for art lovers as well as specialists.
And also the most outstanding collection of equestrian objects in Europe
Since 1912, the horse museum has occupied the second floor of the château with the purpose of culminating and preserving all objects related to horses and equitation. It is an associative museum founded by numerous horse-lovers, cavalry officers, vets, breeders, sportsmen, and blacksmiths.
Backed from the very start by the local council, the Horse Museum Society was dissolved in 1957. It then donated its collections to the town of Saumur. It is without a doubt the most magnificent collection of equestrian objects in Europe. The saddles, bits, stirrups, spurs, and horseshoes offer an almost exhaustive panorama of the history of harnessing from Antiquity up to the 20th century. Each object, from the most simple to the most richly decorated, shows the important role of horses in many different civilisations.
To find out more about the Château of Saumur>>